Saturday 13 July 2019

Project: "Cyclo - the game" cycling board game

20 Years ago, a cycling board  game I designed  ( "Cyclo - The game"®)was publised by a small publisher , thanks to the sponsor I found: Daikin Europe.  I was trilled by the oportunity  Daikin gave me,  but less happy with what the publisher did. OK, the design  adaptation towards plates to define the outlook of the race was a change I accepted, but the change in the rules was without my consent. As the rulebook was made in 6 languages, the publisher had made modifications to shorten the text, so also the number of pages, limiting the costs. It was no longer the ulimate cycling board game I had in mind.


A few years later, "Lotto" also sponsored for a number of sets.


http://wielerbordspellen.be/?page_id=1196

The publisher - (Brand - X games)  did not survive the 2008 crisis.

A few years ago, I found a french site that did sell 1/32 cycling figures, with a modern outlook.

It revived my intrest in Cyclo, and I decided to modernise the game.

The intention of my project is to make a printable game:  rules, track, banners, cyclist, all printable in pdf. tracks, banners and cyclists can then be cut out and glued on cardboard. Only the dice should be purchased separately. A year ago, I was ready  with track, banners, and had purchased  the plastic cyclists.




As also I am now at home for the next few months (heath problem), I started with the final stage of the project: printable cyclists, some final modifications to the rule and the banners.

Maybe, I will present the game to a new publisher, but it is very hard to get a game published, so hope is limited. So possibly, I  will just offer it online.

Draft: the "Fire team".

1 comment:

  1. I must correct myself There are for the moment cycling games that have success. Flamme Rouge is one of them.

    I have for the layout returned the Daikin version. With big plastic figures, the project is fat too expensive; Also I fear most player also prefer a track easy to setup (boards) , So for the project I 'll stick to that.

    ReplyDelete