Saturday 28 August 2021

Braddock's Defeat on the Monogahela

 I am a big fan of Muskets and Tomahawks, 1st Ed. I'm not such a fan of the 2nd Ed. Today I played a fun game based on Braddock's ambush during the French and Indian War, as we call it here in the US. Although outnumbered, the French and their Canadian and Indian allies completely triumphed over the more numerous British, even though the British possessed artillery and better trained troops. The Indians and Canadian militia were able to move through the forest at will, while the British were stuck on the forest path. When the British were able to charge home, which happened once, they made short work of the their tormentors, but the constant sniping wore down the British and, when a regular French infantry unit entered the battle, with their volley fire, it was all over for the British. We used the ranges and move distances as written and, even though the figures were 54 and not 28mm, it played well.















4 comments:

  1. Love the game Nick. I was actually thinking last month of palying once more a French Indian War game, but Steven chose ACW. My very first posting was the battle of Sainte Foy : https://pmcd-mobilisatie.blogspot.com/2014/02/new-years-game-02022014-part-1the.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dirk, your game looks fantastic! I am going to need to paint a lot more French before I can play that game. Luckily, the AIP 7 Years War French are very affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very colourful display/wargame, toy soldiers at their best!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fine ambush that is. I remember the posting Dirk mentioned above. It hooked me into this gamers crew. Crisp paintjobs, Nick. Makes me sorry my woodland indians collect dust sparsely used. Enjoyed, thanks.

    ReplyDelete