Tuesday 15 October 2019

54mm Indian Mutiny Game

Several years ago I sold my large 28mm Indian Mutiny collection. After more than twenty years of collecting figures for the period, I was dissatisfied with all my attempts at re-fighting the battles of the war. If you play historically, the mutineers are at such a disadvantage with their weapons and their lack of command and control that it's not much fun for the mutineer player(s). So I decided to concentrate on skirmish games with my 54mm figures. Then I bought the Indian Mutiny scenario book published by Colonial Conflicts. The scenarios are designed for use with The Sword and the Flame (TSATF) with rules variants for the period, but like the other books in the series, including the Zulu War, Sikh War, Boxer Rebellion, French Intervention in Mexico, etc. the scenarios work well with other rules as well. The books also use the small unit option for TSATF, which calls for eight figure infantry instead of twenty and six figure cavalry units instead of twelve. This was perfect for my 54mm collection which, due to space and expense demanded small sized units. My wargaming buddy and I played the Fatehpur scenario and it was surprisingly well balanced. In fact, my British force was defeated after my single cavalry unit failed its Stand and Fight dice roll and routed off the table. I highly recommend the scenario book to anyone who is interested in the Indian Mutiny, regardless of which rules they play.


















7 comments:

  1. Brilliant! The picture make me want to throw some toy soldiers on the table and have a game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. which company manufacturers the figures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cross posted from Little Wars Revisited: There are only a limited number of companies that make or made figures for the Indian Mutiny. Britains made a limited range, but very nice figures in action poses. Trophy of Wales and Marlborough Star provided most of the marching and walking poses as well as the Sikh irregular cavalry. Tradition of London has some good poses I used for one of the mutineer gun crews, the other one is from Wm Hocker, which are very much in the hollow cast Britains tradition. The RHA gunners are Dorset bodies with now out of production All the Kings Men ACW heads with Havelocks. Lastly, I pressed some Del Prado mounted Afghan Tribal Warriors into service.

      Irregular Miniatures do some nice figures which are still on my painting table.

      Delete
  3. nice collection and conversions. i have 28mm figures for 1st afghan war, sikh wars and the mutiny. this period of time in india (1830-1860) is rather colorful and full of scenario ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kevin, I agree about the romantic attractions of the period. And I love Indian food. Soon I hope to host a game and have a big luncheon with curries and beer at midpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking game. I love the close-up photos. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who's the guy in the brown fur-trimmed coat with turban? I want to recruit him!

    ReplyDelete