Thursday 21 January 2021

"About Raglan" Variant for the Crimean War?

I have been collecting 54mm miniatures for the Crimean War and I would like to use the "About Bonaparte" rules. Can those of you familiar with the rules suggest changes for the period? Russian infantry appear to be very similar to their Napoleonic counterparts: poor leadership, poor shooting and the almost exclusive use of the attack column formation. The British also seem similar to their Napoleonic ancestors. Some, but not all, of the regiments were armed with the rifled musket, so I would need to increase their range. They used the two deep line again. Their generalship was definitely worse than in the Napoleonic Wars. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Nick. I know little about the conflict, but it is more or less the same period as the ACW. I would add a +1D for al firing of the allies. I think the Russians would still have the problem of bad armement so no +1D. the more a reason to use the bajonet charge. Artillery will have also in Europe made progress: heavier batteries so all btteries also fire with +1D, heavy batteries with 6 figures also is possible.

    Id did quick read of the account of the battle of Inkerman (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Inkerman). What struck me was the Russian generals being killed by rifle fire, one after the other. A colonel replacing a general only surviving a few minutes.

    I would say, test every (or a limited number of) Russian officer outside cover and in view of British infantry each turn: a flag is a hit. An ADC can take his place, but loss od the 2 dice of the general.

    Or you could use a number of British infantry figures a sharpshooters. Each 1D every turn, no range limitation, at less than 60cm an I as a hit, other distance is a flag. The sharpshooter(s) can also aim at other figures than officers.

    Maybe do a short test before you start a game.
    What do you think?
    Dirk






    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dirk. I will check the ACW variant of the rules again. Your suggestions are very helpful. I will keep you posted as I continue to explore this period.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete