Thursday 9 July 2020

Boer War Birthday Game

Yesterday was my birthday and I invited a good friend over for a Boer War game to celebrate the day and the completion of the excellent armoured train locomotive model from Imperial Miniatures. The game started off with the Boer Bitterenders  making a surprise mounted attack on a British supply depot. The picquet in the blockhouse was able to raise the alarm just before one group of mounted Boers leaped over the barricades. But the mounted Boers were unable to close with the Khakis and were forced to retreat away from the defenses where they dismounted and continued the attack. The other Boer force dismounted on the far side of the horse kraal, ready to steal the much needed supplies inside the camp. As the superior Boer marksmanship began to whittle down the British defenders, taking cover behind the supply wagons, an armoured train carrying a full platoon of Highlanders arrived on the scene and came to a stop opposite the kraal occupied by the Boers. This timely arrival of reinforcements put paid to the Bitterender plans and the Boers drifted back into the veldt, taking only a few captured horses and rifles with them.
















9 comments:

  1. Brilliant stuff! I love the round blockhouse and the armoured train.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the late comment Nick, and Happy Birthday.
    A game i would have loved to participate, and certainly the Dutch members of our group, wih their link to the Boers. The train and blockhouse are indeed superb.
    Dirk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking game and figures Nick. I can see why you wanted to use the armoured train, it's a beauty. The scenario reminds me of the attack on the camp in 'Breaker Morant'.
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, All, for your kind words. The blockhouse is from JG Miniatures, the armoured engine is from Imperial miniatures. James Fisher, I watched 'Breaker Morant' the night before the game, for inspiration. I even added a thrown dynamite rule, but the one time it was thrown, it failed to explode.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog and Stans Armee are great, I would like to be able to follow them both on Blogger but I can't find a Follow widget. Could you add one? or show me where it might be.
    Regards,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Paul, Welcome. Thank you for your suggestion. I have added the followers app. on the upper right of the site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dirk, I should not miss any posts now!.
      Cheers,
      Paul.

      Delete
  7. Hi Nick,
    I am a new follower and this looks a great game. I am especially interested in your mounted Boers which appear to be conversions of AIP figures. Could you give some tips as to how you made these.
    Regards
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jim,
    I replied to your question on the LWR site. The mounted Boers are not AIP conversions. They are a mixture of Britains and Dea by Casandra metals. I have seen some very good AIP conversion on Facebook, using, I believe, the mounted British cavalry from the waist down and using the AIP Boers bodies. I attached a photo to my reply on LWR.

    ReplyDelete